Monday, July 21, 2014

So what are these so called polymer products I speak of?

So I was speaking to another student about how at first taste, I wasn't particularly enjoying the 'flavor' of my company, and I was ready to put down the spoon before I had even given myself a chance to dig in. This student gave me another perspective, and really got me thinking about how this company may be relevant to my own life and my own interests. So I started to read more deeply into the specific polymer products which BPI produce, and boy, was I hooked. This tub, it seemed, had a mix-in to suit almost every taste. In fact, if next week when I do my grocery shopping, I opt for Magnum ice blocks rather than this tub which I have been frequently referring to, each individual treat may in fact be wrapped in the frozen food polymer film, a common product manufactured by BPI for the food and drink industry. 

So let's take our trolley further through the supermarket. You know those super convenient, already packaged bags of potatoes and carrots in the fresh produce section? Or how about the film which covers each delicious punnet of strawberries? Yep, you guessed it! BPI manufacturers a particular film for the packaging of fresh produce. So why stop our trolley here? I smell fresh bread waiting over in the baked goods section. BPI's products include wicketed bags or film on the reel for use on fully automatic lines and to package everything from part baked baguettes to hot cross buns. 



Okay, so after I had covered one of my hobbies; delicious, delicious food, I started looking at my next best addiction. So I think a lot of my lady classmates are going to connect with this next one. I love to shop, I mean c'mon, what woman doesn't? Particularly I love shopping online, ohhh the convenience of buying a whole new outfit before my partner even wakes up next to me. Actually, I received some packages in the mail just today and I think you know where I am going with this one...yes you've probably guessed it. BPI manufacturers polymer products to market to the supply-chain industry. Not only was the post bag itself made from a strong, durable polymer film, but each individual clothing item was also wrapped in a similar product. Think of any area of modern retailing and chances are, BPI plays a role in it. 


Once I had furiously ripped open my package, tried on all my new pretties, and made an exceptional mess of my room, I realised I needed a garbage bag to put all this polymer waste into. Luckily for me, BPI also manufacturers products for waste management. Not only do they provide the well known Green Sack for regular waste control, they also manufacturer bio-degradable and compost bags for when I also feel like ripping out some weeds and messing up my yard, however this is far less frequent than the former. Furthermore, for those of you who are not in fact familiar with the green sack, it is a product which is created inline with BPI's staunch commitment to sustainability. The Green sack is made in the UK from 100% recycled British farm waste that might otherwise be burnt and sent to landfill.


So my dad bought a farm once, I believe he wanted to grow cane as a hobby, I never really understood this, strange man my dad. Anyways, when he first bought the property and before he turned it into a cane farm, it was used to grow tomatoes. Now I distinctly remember that there was rows and rows of black plastic covering the tomato crops, little bits of plastic that I would continue to find for months to come. I never understood, or even questioned for that matter, the purpose of this plastic until now. With a product portfolio that includes such globally respected brand names as Visqueen and Silotite, BPI supplies agriculture and horticulture films that enhance the productivity for farmers and growers across the world. 


You may have heard the name Plaswood, an award winning BPI product made from 100% recycled polythene waste. Plaswood is used in construction to replace wood in many applications, it can be fabricated into fencing, walkways, decking and many more everyday, around the house things. Also, on the topic on construction, BPI's Viqueen Building Products is a market leader in the supply of structural waterproofing products and gas protection membranes. 

Wow, as I type this out it sure makes me realise just how versatile BPI's market is. If you are still reading this then I am glad that I haven't lost you and I hope you have found the relevance of BPI in your everyday life as interesting as I do. So thank you for sticking around, I would love to hear from you if you can relate to the products that I have touched on. But for now it's off to bed for me, and you are free to go on with your life, no longer being blissfully unaware of the polymer products that surround you. 

9 comments:

  1. Lauren, you have found your groove!! I love your application to every day life, this makes for an interesting read and you didn't lose me once throughout your post. You have some amazing products, and serve a multitude of industries. Will be interested to see what KCQ's you find most important. Great work Lauren, u r a superstar!! Plastic is as versatile as Dior :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren ... seriously good post ... you are getting a great grip on what your firm does ... I know this, because I am too from reading your blog ... you have a great writing style ... able to bring things to life by connecting them to the real world ... to your world ... to our world ... perhaps you could (re)write some parts of the study guide as we progress through the course ... I love to 'steal' other's ideas, stories, thoughts to help people really understand and reflect on what accounting is ... and isn't ... all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog Lauren! Well written and gives me a good understanding of your company. Also wants me want a Magnum ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog lauren I'm with martin you've got a great writing style. Easy to read and captures the readers attention and keeps it. I love that you have made it a personal journey and can relate your company to everyday life...One of my fav blogs!!
    cheers steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is the best!!!Hope to learn more from you. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. I myself received one of the delicious mail packages today and then ripped open each individually wrapped plastic goodies - tops, crop pants, the most divine floral pants and a cherry red cardie. Now who do I have to thank for the plastic I have to hide deep in the trash bin so my husband doesn't see it (he knows what that plastic means)?? Why, BPI of course!

    Great blog, thoroughly entertaining to read from first post to this. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Toni, I can totally relate to that one. "No babe, this isn't a new pair of jeans, I have had these for ages!". I am glad you have liked my blog so far. I just put up my company KCQs and will be putting up my chapter KCQs very soon. I will be sure to check your blog out ASAP.

      Delete
    2. Does your hubs believe you when you say that? Mine soooo doesn't but he doesn't call me on it either. Bless him.

      Will pop over and check out your KCQs tomorrow. Sorry I won't get to them tonight. Thanks for checking out mine. :)

      Delete